Financial Aid
Scholarships Available
Kota Damansara MRT Station
Apply Online

FOD joins National Oral Health Awareness Day to promote good oral health

IT is important to take care of oral health as various studies showed that oral health problems are linked with greater risks of developing frailty in older age.

As part of efforts to promote good oral health among the general population in Malaysia, the Faculty of Dentistry (FOD) at SEGi University had recently participated in the National Oral Health Awareness Day organized by Smile Malaysia in partnership with IM4U (1Malaysia for Youth) and Dental Dean’s Council of Malaysia.

Smile Malaysia, a youth volunteering community is a Malaysian-based NGO which focuses on improving the accessibility to oral healthcare regardless of an individual’s socioeconomic status.

Among some of the activities at the event included oral health screening and education programme, as well as blood pressure and blood glucose examinations.

Held at Surau As-Salam in Section 4, Kota Damansara, the four-hour event from 9am to 1pm received positive responses from the public.

Four (4) staff members from FOD, SEGi University – Drs Bennete, Donni, Arun and Rohmat, conducted oral health screening while ten (10) year 4 dental students provided oral health education to attendees.

Apart from that, SEGi dental students also devised fun games and activities related to oral health for visiting children. Toothbrushes and toothpastes were distributed for free to children to promote oral health.

Of the 52 patients who were screened, 11 of them that accounts up to 21% were female while the remainder 41 that accounts 79% were male.

Based on the records, 38 (73%) had untreated caries and required restorative care, 8 (15%) patients had missing teeth and required removable partial dentures and 2 (1%) required extraction.

The screened patients were advised to visit SEGi Oral Health Centre for further management or to visit a dental clinic of their choice.

SEGi Oral Health Centre provides quality oral health care services to patients at a nominal fee. Patients who require complex treatment will be treated by the dental specialized and charged accordingly.

Among some of the treatments provided are preventive dental care, oral and maxillofacial surgery, periodontology, orthodontics and many more. For appointment, contact 603 6145 2712.

About the author